When I wrote my first post with this title, I had intended to continue writing these every month or so. Two years later, here is finally another one. This is certainly not because I haven’t heard crazy things in the last two years, but because I simply get too busy and forget to write them all down.
1) A conversation between two of my freshmen students:
“If two white people have a baby in China, the baby will be Chinese!”
“Right, they will be Chinese citizens.”
“No, no, I’m saying they will look Chinese!”
“You’re crazy, no they won’t.”
“Yes, I swear!”
“Okay, well what if two black people have a baby in Mexico…will their baby look Mexican?”
“Of course not! That would be crazy.”
(I know as a teacher I’m not supposed to laugh at my students, but on this occasion I went the other direction and I couldn’t stop laughing!)
2) I got asked last week by a student (who again, was totally serious) if my hair was permed. I told him that was a funny joke. For those that know me, or who have seen pictures, you are fully aware of exactly how straight my hair is…whether I attempt to make it straight or not!
3) One class seems to have an obsession with old I am. After telling them at least three times that I am 30 years old, I started responding instead that I am 55 when they ask me…which still seems to be at least once a week, as I tire of their repetitive question. After several weeks of being super sarcastic and stating that I was 55, one student, out of the blue came up to me on her way out of the room and said, “Wow, I just can’t get over how good you look for being 55.” Sheesh!
4) If your variables cancel out when solving an equation, then you have either infinite solutions or no solutions based on what’s left. This student knew exactly what they were doing…however, they didn’t exactly abbreviate their answer appropriately.
5) My last one of the day I figure I probably can’t use in my Trig classes anymore. What a bummer!
~I also refuse to play Trivia Crack, because that’s all I hear about from my students lately. For those not around teenagers all day, I hear this is a great app to check out! ;)